Saturday, October 29, 2005

It's nice to be back home

My turn to post again. I was back in Nashville for the third and final week of Six Sigma training last week. During week two of training, the instructors had forewarned us to expect to work late into the evening this week. I took this to heart, and stayed at a hotel in Nashville for the week. It was a good idea - we did indeed work late most evenings.

Of course, it did mean that I missed Melissa and the children. It was hard on Melissa, too, without me being around. Her mother - Therese - was kind enough to come and stay at the house while I was gone, so that was a big help. Poor Melissa still had a rough week, though, especially on Wednesday when her van broke down. New starter for $425 including tax and labour! Ouch.

As I mentioned in the title, though, it's nice to be home. We got out of class a little earlier on Friday. I hung around for a little while to take care of a few loose ends from my "real" job, then hit the road home.

I called Melissa, who was pleased to hear from me. She was equally pleased when I walked in the door carrying coffee for her. Emma’s reaction made it for me. She looked up and, when she saw who it was, gave a big grin and hustled over to me. We hugged for a while and she was Daddy’s girl for the rest of the evening! We went out for dinner with Joe and Melissa, and a number of other friends to Chili’s. All three kids (Tyler, Kyla and Emma) were very well behaved.

It seems as though Emma has developed so much in the short time that I was gone. She demonstrated several times that evening how she can pull up on me and then let go to stand for a while. Her sixth tooth is through, too.

We had a long and fun day today (Saturday). Since I had been gone all week, I volunteered to take night duty with baby yesterday. Well, Emma must have decided that she needed to make up for lost time since she woke me at about 1:10 this morning. It was close to 2:30 by the time that I got back to bed. Luckily, she "slept in" until 5:50 this morning when I got up with her again.

We did have a busy day. Apart from all the regular weekend chores like doing laundry and hauling the trash to the dump, there were several highlights.

As you know, Halloween is rapidly approaching. You may have heard that Tyler said something a couple of weeks ago about going trick or treating dressed as a girl. Me being me, I told him that I would if he did. Well... we're on!

Melissa went shopping at the thrift store last week, and picked out an outfit for each of us. I tried mine on this morning - just to see if it would all fit you understand! I started with one of Melissa's maternity bras, stuffed with some thick boot socks. I had a nice, black, ankle length velvet skirt and topped that all off with a purple blouse and some really cheap plastic jewelry. Oh! And a blonde wig! We will do the makeup on Monday - Halloween itself - so you may see a picture posted here soon after that.

Zech and his soccer team played their fifth game today, and lost 1-3. It was a good game, though, and everyone played to the best of their abilities.

Zech doesn't seem to be on a winning team this year, which is unusual. I think that it's a good thing - it will teach him a little humility. He has always played on winning teams until now, and sometimes I think that he lets it go to his head!

We went to a 1st birthday party this evening. This was for the son of one of my colleagues. There was a large number of guests, and even a magician. It was a very good party, and we all enjoyed ourselves. Zech was fortunate to be called upon as the magician's assistant a couple of times. He enjoys magic tricks, and even taught the magician one! So, he got a kick out of that.

Anyway, that should about get you up to date with most of our news. Melissa may make an additional post.

No comments: