Monday, November 07, 2005

Memphis and back

I took a day off work to make the long haul to Memphis and back today in order to attend my scheduled naturalization interview with the INS. Memphis - 275 miles and four hours away - is my "local" INS office you see.

I left the house at 5:00 this morning, and arrived at the INS office right at 9:00 for my 9:30 appointment. I was in the waiting room for all of 5 minutes when my name was called. They were running ahead of schedule, so that worked out well for me.

The interview itself didn't even last 15 minutes, and was very straightforward. After swearing me in, the immigration officer went through my application forms to confirm my eligibility for citizenship, and to check that my details were still correct and valid. After that, he verbally asked a few of the simpler civics test questions, which I had no difficulty in answering.

The 'civics test' is a series of questions about American history and the political system.

The last step of the interview was to sign a few forms, and to complete a very simple test of my ability to read and write English! We both thought that was a little amusing, but it's a box that needs to be checked.

Finally, the officer told me that my application was in order, and that he approved my petition. And that was that! The one final step in the naturalization process will be the Oath of Allegiance ceremony, which will take place at the federal courthouse in Nashville. At that time, I will officially become a United States citizen, although I will continue to retain my British nationality also.

The officer wasn't able to give me a date for the oath ceremony, but I have heard that it can range from several weeks to several months after the interview.

I was out of the door and back on the road home by 9:30. 8 hours driving for a 15 minute interview. A long trip, but worth it!

No comments: