Thursday, December 22, 2005

Quarantine!

Remember us telling you about that stomach bug that took the three older kids out for a day each? Well, the rest of the household has been bitten by it now. That's all seven of us! Emma was the first... it happened just as we were going to bed on the Friday 16th. She woke up fussing and, just as Melissa picked her up to comfort her, she threw up down Melissa's back. Nice. Neither Melissa nor I got much sleep that night as we took shifts nursing the baby. Luckily, the next day was Saturday, so we were both home to spell each other as we tried to rest.

As Sunday evening rolled around, Therese came home early from church complaining of nausea. Sure enough, she had the bug and was up much of the night. Melissa complained of sympathetic symptoms, but it was more than that. So, she was up all night too. I worked from home on Monday so that I could take care of Emma while Melissa slept and recuperated. I had my fingers cross that I would dodge the viral bullet.

Not so. I woke up Tuesday morning, wishing that I hadn't. My turn! So, I spent another day out of the office, although this time I only did about an hour's worth of work - mainly just keeping up with my office email. I can vouch for the others that it is a miserable bug to catch. The good news is that physical symptoms tend to pass in about 6 hours, leaving the victim with stiffness and aches for another 18 or so. I was able to go back into work on Wednesday, although I didn't feel 100%.

I ran out of cigarettes on Sunday 18th. With all the stress of running around after a sick family, you wouldn't think that would be a great day to quit smoking. So, that's exactly what I did. Always enjoy a challenge! Actually, it was probably the best day, since I stayed busy enough that it took my mind off the habit. I've been wearing nicotine patches since then (except for my own sick day) and so far it seems to be working out well. Others would probably agree, since I have yet to take anyone's head off. Although it's only been four days, I am confident that I can stick with it. Melissa is now into her sixth week as a non-smoker and still going strong. I'm very proud of her, and she is my inspiration.

All in all, a fun packed week since our last blog entry, wouldn't you say? The good news is that we are all past the stomach bug now, so it shouldn't cast a gloom over our Christmas festivities. A couple of us now have minor head colds, but nothing that will really slow us down. Wednesday 21st was my last day in the office until January 3rd, so I have joined the children on break. Since poor Therese works for a bank, she doesn't get so lucky with time off around the holidays.

Anyway, that's about all the news for now. I am sure that we will have something to chat about next week, since there is a lot coming up. Let's see - dates to remember:

December 23 - Melissa's 31st birthday (oops, shouldn't have given her age away).
December 24 - Christmas Eve - bigger in our house than the Day itself.
December 25 - Christmas Day.
December 26 - Our 2nd wedding anniversary.
December 28 - Emma turns 1 year old!
December 31 - My 38th birthday (ouch), and Emma's birthday party.

So, in closing, we all wish you a safe and happy holiday season!

No comments: